National Gardening Week


April 30, 2018

As this week is National Gardening Week, The Sreepur Village would like to highlight the training they offer so that over 200 mothers, in the future, can live self-sufficiently, confidently knowing that their children will not starve.

For the three meals a day that The Sreepur Village provides, a small piece of farm land in the village has been partitioned into different sections for growing vegetables, which provides 60% of the daily vegetables that feed our mothers and children. For the remaining 40% fresh vegetables are bought directly from the local market.

We also offer direct homestead gardening training for our mothers and just last year, we started sack gardening. As the greater part of our mothers is from flood-prone northern and eastern regions of Bangladesh, and as the majority lack nutrition awareness, our sack gardening programme helps them to meet their nutritional needs for their children throughout the year and in times of natural disaster.

Research has shown that 8 – 10 rice sacks of grown vegetables can feed a family of four as well as reduce the family’s monthly food expenditure. At the same time, we incorporate the literacy training with the gardening, so our mothers are able to learn the appropriate vocabulary and communicate in this practical field.

In Bangladesh, TDH (Terre de Hommes) is building raised vegetable gardens, which are more resistant to the country’s frequent floods and bad weather. This approach aims at encouraging more continuous food production and reducing malnutrition in children and mothers.

A few months ago we also started this “Key Hole Gardening”, which we hope our mothers, when they leave The Sreepur Village, will take to their communities so that they have a continuous form of food security and can properly meet the nutritional needs for all the family.



Leave a comment


Also in News

National Mourning Day - August 15, 2018
National Mourning Day - August 15, 2018

August 17, 2018

The 15th August is a significant day in Bangladesh as it is also National Mourning Day. In the Sreepur Village, the day's activities commenced with the students performing poetry and then gifts were distributed amongst all the children.

Read More

World Breast Feeding Week (Aug 1-7)
World Breast Feeding Week (Aug 1-7)

August 07, 2018

In 2018, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) issued a new 10 point guidance to further raise awareness on the benefits of early breastfeeding. According to research, breastfeeding babies for the first two years would annually save the lives of more than 8,20,000 children under the age five.

Read More

SwimSafe in The Sreepur Village
SwimSafe in The Sreepur Village

July 20, 2018

On Monday the #SwimSafe schemes commenced once again in The Sreepur Village. They are run by a team from the CIPRB (Centre for Injury Prevention and Research, Bangladesh) who, along with assistance from the British RNLI, have devised learn to swim schemes that are run in both rural and urban areas in Bangladesh

Read More